The Glen Cove Music Program
The Glen Cove Music Department is known for its fine tradition of excellence. Students begin their musical journey in kindergarten and continue through their senior year in high school. Our musicians are given the opportunity to be part of performing ensembles that include band, chorus, and orchestra, as well as a variety of classroom music experiences. In addition, the music department offers many extra curricular activities such as jazz band, pep band, a cappella groups, musical theater performances, drum line, and fine arts festivals. Award winning performances are enjoyed throughout the year by families and community members alike.
Our recent awards and accomplishments include:
- Members of Glen Cove High School's Select Chorale have once again been invited to perform on the TV 10/55 Holiday Show with Richard Rose. The performance will air on TV 10/55 on Dec. 21. CBS will also run footage from the musical performance intermittently on Christmas Day.
- The Glen Cove High School Select Choral was invited to perform for the President and the First Lady at the White House Holiday Party, 2014
- Rating of Gold with Distinction at the 2014 NYSSMA Majors Festival for the High School Select Chorale
- 2 students selected (1 choral, 1 band) to the National Association of Music Educators (NAFME) All National Festival 2014
- The Glen Cove High School Band to perform at The Columbus Day parade and the Inaugural Veterans Day Parade in New York City
- Ratings of Superior at the Music in the Parks Festivals for the High School Wind Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, and Middle School Concert Band
- Ratings of Gold at the 2013 NYSSMA Majors Festival for the 7th Grade Band
- Expansion of the orchestral program to the high school level
- Select Chorale invited to perform at Westminster Choir College Choral Festival and at the Queens College Choral Festival
- Over 100 students from 4-12 grade participated in the NYSSMA Solo Adjudication Festival
- 48 students district wide were selected to participate in the All County Festival and 4 students were selected to participate in the All State Festival
- 8 students selected to NYSSMA All State Ensembles 2013
- 1 student selected to the National Association of Music Educators (NAfME) All National Choir 2013
- Students were selected to participate in the Long Island String Festival Association
- Elementary students participated in the Tilles Center Arts in Education partnership
- High School performing ensembles have performed at Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall
- Glen Cove music students support their community in many ways through local events such as tree lightings, parades, ceremonies and visits to senior resident homes.
- The High School Chorale has participated in a performance fundraiser for the HPS NETWORK (Hermanskey-Pudlak Syndrome), a national non-profit that fights for a cure to this rare, genetic disease 2011-present
- Every Glen Cove music performance group, from Kindergarten to High School performs in 2 school-wide concerts each year